Men or women, we all want one – the ultimate “man cave” or “she shed.” It’s more than just a media or home theater room. This room in your house represents a place to retreat from the stress of everyday life – to ignore the To Do list and relax in style.
When you’re designing your ideal oasis, there are many options to consider and it can feel overwhelming. Don’t worry. We’ve helped many clients install their perfect room, and we’re here to help.
Let’s skip right over the design aspects and get to the REALLY fun stuff. What gadgets do you need? (What is deemed “necessary” is completely up to you.) Everyone has their own opinion about what’s the best, but we have some favorites.
- Screen. When a large screen TV just won’t hack it, you need a projector. There are many good affordable options. If budget is no issue, then you can’t go wrong with something like JVC DLA-EX700R, which CNET calls the “best projector they’ve ever reviewed.” You’ll also need a screen to go with that projector. Or checkout a new “wallpaper TV” option expected to become available later this year.
- Sound. There are endless varieties of speaker systems and setups to choose from. You can even combine a passion for football and speakers with the new NIMA Audio Bluetooth Football Speaker.
- Lighting. Dim the lights with your smartphone with an option like Phillips Hue. If your room isn’t completely dark, you’ll need some good blackout curtains. If your man cave is down in the basement, you can still enjoy the beauty of the night sky from the comfort of your recliner.
- Gaming. If you’re a gamer, you probably have a strong opinion about what’s best. The Sony PlayStation 4 and Microsoft Xbox One are both popular options. If you like old school Nintendo, you can even get a functional gaming coffee table. Not your thing? Try a golf simulator to practice your swing in the off season or a foosball coffee table.
- Access. These days, man caves and media rooms must be digital. Consider options such as Apple TV or Amazon Fire.
- Control. Once you have everything setup, you don’t want to have to deal with a dozen different remotes. Invest a universal remote such as Logitech Harmony Smart Control or the Sevenhugs Smart Remote available later this year.
- Seating. From recliners to home theater units, the right seating is key. Take it up a notch and grab one of these seats with heat or massage capabilities.
- Refreshments. Since you’re so comfortable, you shouldn’t have to get up to grab another drink. Get yourself a drink cooler to put within reach. This one has a built-in bottle opener or you can go big. Other options allow you to brew your own beer or even live like the Jetsons with your own robot bartender. You’re welcome.
- Snacks. Don’t forget to build in snack storage! Obviously, no home theater is complete without its own popcorn machine.
- Decorate. Make the space feel like home – whether that’s with a beer cap map, hidden entry door, or unique posters is up to you.
Overwhelmed with the options and setup required? Don’t let it stop you from fulfilling your man cave dreams. We can help. Just contact us online for a free consultation.